Thursday 5 May 2016

Japanese Teriyaki Chicken Rice

This easy to prepare dish is a hit with my kids. Thanks to my dearest friend who came to my rescue when I told her one late night that I have ran out of idea what to prepare for my kids' lunch. My kids never like porridge, kway teow, macaroni soup kind of food. Tata! She sent me a video clip. With the right recipe and method, the chicken is so tender and juicy. Top it on a bowl of hot rice, this is simply delicious!
Japanese Teriyaki Chicken Rice
(Recipe adapted from C Channel Teriyaki Chicken With Egg Bowl facebook video clip)
Ingredients:
- 3 debone chicken thighs
- Sea salt a pinch
- Pepper a dash
- Plain flour 1 tsp
- Cooking oil 1 tbsp
- Sake (I use Hua Diao/Shao Xing Jiu) 1 tbsp
*- Soya Sauce 2 tbsp
*-Sugar 1/2 tbsp
*-Mirin 1 tbsp
*(The recipe uses almost double of what I have stated for the last 3 ingredients, but I personally prefer lesser sauce, less salty. You can also replace these ingredients with Kikoman Grill Japanese Teriyaki Sauce.)

Toppings:
- Soft boiled egg
- Japanese mayo
- Dried shredded seaweed
- Sesame seeds (if you like)

Method:
1) Cut chicken into approx 3cm cubes.
2) Seasoned with salt & pepper.
3) Coat chicken with 1 tsp of plain flour before cooking.
4) Heat up pan & oil.
5) On medium fire, add chicken, stir then spread them out on the pan, turn it to ensure both sides are browned.
Note: Chicken need not be fully cooked at this stage.
6) Add wine, cover the pan, steam the chicken for about 3mins.
7) Use a paper towel to dry up the excess oil.
8) Add soya sauce, sugar & mirin. Stir fry to ensure the chicken is evenly coated and cooked.
9) Just before chicken is ready, up the fire to thicken the sauce. Quick stir & off fire.
10) Serve it with a bowl of hot Japanese rice. Top with mayo, seaweed, sesame & a soft boiled egg.

The total cooking process exclude preparation should not exceed 10 mins else the chicken might be overcooked. It does depend on your chicken quantity, the type of pan used & your stove fire.



No comments:

Post a Comment