Sunday 10 April 2016

100% Brown Sugar Chiffon

Our breakfast are mostly homemade except on days when mummy is too exhausted . The kids usually have homemade bread for breakfast. When we get a little bored with bread, I will make cakes. Chiffon is a good choice as it is a light cake. And eggs are good for my lil girl who does not consume much protein. The only concern I have is the sugar. I hardly use white sugar at home. When I came across this recipe that uses 100% brown sugar for chiffon, I can't wait to try it. At first, I was worried that a chiffon that uses brown sugar would turn out dense and heavy. But the result is a healthier, soft, and surprisngly light chiffon.
This chiffon uses a Jap method that does not require sugar to be added to the yolks. No baking powder or cream of tartar is needed.

100% Brown Sugar Chiffon
(for a 17cm tube pan)

Ingredients:
- Egg yolks 4 (60g egg)
- Grapeseed oil 50ml
- Milk 60ml (to be warmed to 36-37'c)
- Cake Flour 75g
- Egg whites 4
- Brown Sugar 60 to 65g (or a bit more if you prefer a sweeter cake)

Method:
1) Preheat oven to 180'c
2) Add oil & milk to yolks and mix with a whisk. Just mix well, need not beat.
3) Add sifted flour to yolks and mix well.
4) Beat whites till foamy. Add sugar over 2 times and beat till stiff peak.
5) Add 1/3 of white to yolk mixture and mix with a whisk.
6) Add remaining whites over 2 times to yolk mixture and fold gently with spatula till no streak of white.
7) Pour mixture into tube pan and lightly tap it on the tabletop to remove large air bubbles.
8) Baked at lowest rack at 180'c for 25mins.
9) Invert pan when remove from oven. Unmould when it is completely cold.

(Recipe adapted from a Japanese chiffon book by 青井聡子)

Oven temperature and baking time may vary for different ovens.

Tips:
I use Okinawa brown sugar and love it. 
I baked this chiffon in cuppies. Baking time is approx. 20mins at same 180'c.
I have also baked it in 15cm tube pan and mini chiffon pan. 

These are my mini chiffons for my girl to bring to school. Pic 1 is a mini chiffon with chocolate chips added.





No comments:

Post a Comment